Interesting hair facts
1. Everyone has about 100,000 hairs on their head. Of course, that number ranges. Red haired women have 90,000, black haired women have 110,000 , and blondes can be proud owners of their 140,000 hairs.
2. Just one single hair can withstand a weight of 3.5 oz. That theoretically means that the whole hair can withstand the weight of two elephants.
3. Just one single hair can reveal whether you smoke, do drugs, what you eat and what is your ethnic origin. Different races have different hair structure.
4. Researchers can’t identify your gender with one single hair.
5. Hair is made mainly of keratin, which is a protein that also makes the nails elastic.
6. The thickness of one hair varies from 0.00067 to 0.00709 in (17 to 180 micrometers). So you need thousands of hairs to form an one inch thick strand of hair.
7. Baldness in most cases is hereditary, it is passed through genes from the mother’s and father’s side.
8. Strict diets can cause hair loss.
9. In the human body, hair is the second fastest growing tissue, bone marrow is the fastest.
10. Hair grows around 6 inches a year. This means that your hair is growing 0.017 inches daily and 0.5 inches per month.
11. Hair grows fastest when you’re between 15 and 30 years.
12. Hair grows faster in summer than in winter.
13. People that have darker skin tone have thicker hair and it grows slower than people with lighter skin. Asian hair grows fastest and has the greatest elasticity.
14. You’ll probably lose 55% of your hair, before anyone notice that you’re getting bald.
15. It is normal if you lose 50-100 hairs per day.