Pro eyeliner tips every woman needs to know
For many women applying gel or liquid eyeliner is labor intensive activity that requires extreme dexterity. But actually with practice, patience and a cotton swab dipped in makeup remover, you can achieve incredible results. Just try again, don’t give up and read these pro eyeliner tips every woman needs to know:
How to apply pencil, gel or liquid eyeliner?
No matter what kind of eyeliner you use (liquid, gel, pencil or eye shadow), you need to have a steady hand to make a perfect line. If you aren’t sure that you’ll do it successfully here is one pro eyeliner tip: Sit down and place on your elbow on the stable, this way your hand will be more stable.
Apply the eyeliner with an angled brush, pencil, or applicator as close to the eyelashes as possible. Start from the inner corner of your eye to the outer corner and create a little wing for a ‘cat eye’ effect. Some women prefer to start from the outer corner to the inner corner of the eye.
But if you’re a beginner, here’s another eyeliner tip: The easiest way to apply eyeliner is to start from the middle of your eye, to apply eyeliner to the outer corner and create a wing. Then start from the inner corner and connect the lines. Follow the contour of your eye and try to apply a continuous line or you can create few short lines as a guidelines and then to connect them. Which method you choose depends on you and how steady your hand is.
If you want to apply eyeliner to your lower lid, choose a eyeliner that is one shade lighter so the line won’t be too harsh. Apply the eyeliner only on 2/3 of your eye a close as possible to your lashes. It is best to use waterproof eyepencil for the lower lid because it won’t make a harsh line and you won’t look like you have painted funny circles on your eyes.
What color eyeliner you should use?
For a natural and classic look, use eyeliner pencil in dark brown or dark gray to outline the upper eyelid. For outlining the lower eyelid, use a lighter shades of the same colors – soft brown or gray. For more dramatic look, you can use gel or liquid eyeliner in black.
If you want to experiment with colors and do a fresh and interesting makeup, experiment with colors that compliment your eye color. But be careful, because if you use bright colors, your eyelashes might not look thick and full, so you might want to use an extra coat of mascara.
Thicker or thinner eyeliner line?
General rule is that the thickness of the line should be proportional with the size of your eyelid. If your eyelids are larger, you can create a thicker line but it doesn’t have to be harsh and sharp. If you have small eyelids, you should line the contours of your eye with a thin, precise and sharper lines.
Extra eyeliner beauty tips:
- Don’t use creamy eyeliner pencil to line your lower lid because it can smear easily. However, if you want to use creamy pencil it is best to set it with translucent powder or eyeshadow in the same color to prevent smudging.
- For an everyday look, don’t elongate the ‘wing’ too much. Save the dramatic ‘cat eye’ look for night out or special occasions.
- Don’t apply liquid eyeliner your waterline, because it can smear all over your eyes and it’s not good for your eyes. If you have to line your waterline, use waterproof eyeliner pencil.
- Don’t apply thick line if you have small eyes.
- Don’t use eye shadows as eyeliner if you don’t have an eyeliner brush. The line might not be precise and your lines might look funny.