We’re leading very busy lives, so from time to time we get the unattractive dark circles under our eyes. The dark under eye circles can be caused by many factors such as stress, insomnia, smoking, alcohol consumption and over working on the computer.
In all cases, the extremely thin skin in the eye area should be treated very gently. Also, having a healthy lifestyle and healthy diet, regular consumption of fruits and vegetables and avoiding unhealthy foods can really improve the dark under eye circles. Some dermatologists explain that the dark circles under the eyes appear when the body accumulates too much toxins, so drink plenty of water to flush them out – around eight 8 ounce glasses a day.
Important! If you have really obvious dark circles around your eyes, you first need to consult your doctor to see if there is any medical problem that is connected with the dark circles.
Here are few ways how you can use homemade solutions and cosmetics to reduce the dark under eye circles and also the puffy eyes:
Homemade treatments against dark under eye circles
1. If you like to drink tea in the morning, this homemade treatment against dark under eye circles is for you. Before you apply your concealer and makeup in the morning, take two cotton pads and soak them in chamomile, mint or green tea (if you make tea for two people, you can use two still warm tea bags).
2. This is an easy homemade treatment against dark under eye circles: In a little cold water (around 5 tablespoons), dissolve 1 teaspoon of honey. Dip two cotton pads and squeeze them lightly. Put them on your eyes and leave them for 5-10 minutes. Rinse your eye area with cold water if necessary.
3. Boil one small potato, mash it and spread it on 2 little cotton pads or cheese cloth. Place the cotton pads on your eyes and leave them for 10 minutes.
4. This DIY homemade solution against dark under eye circles is probably the most known of them all: Put two cold raw cucumber slices on your eyes and leave them for 5-10 minutes.
5. Make a basil tea from 1 teaspoon dried basil and 7 tablespoons of boiling water. Leave it for 5-10 minutes, strain the liquid and divide it into two cups. Place one of the cups in the freezer for 5-8 minutes to cool the tea, and keep the other warm. Take two cotton pads, dip them first in the warm basil tea, place them on your eyes, leave them for 30 seconds and then repeat the same procedure with the cold tea. Repeat the warm-cold procedure 5-6 times.
6. In a mortar and pestle, grind one bunch of fresh parsley and divide the paste on two cotton pads. Place the cotton pads onto your eyes and leave them for about 15 minutes.
7. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of plain yogurt with finely chopped fresh parsley. Put the mixture on two cotton pads, place them onto your eyes, leave them for 15-20 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
8. Take one small raw potato (wash it very well), cut it in half and place the potato pieces on your eyes. Leave them for 20-30 minutes.
9. This is a very easy homemade green tea treatment against dark under eye circles that you can make while you wait for your tea to cool. Take 2 green tea or black tea bags (without flavor or color additives) put them in a little hot water and leave them for 3 minutes (make yourself a cup of tea). Take out the tea bags, cool them a little and put them on your eyes. Leave them for about 10 minutes.
10. Soak 2 cotton pads into cold milk and squeeze them lightly. Put them on your eyes and leave them for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse the eye area with cold water.
11. Take 2 ice cubes, put them in 2 little plastic bags and gently massage the skin the under eye area for no more than 5 minutes. This homemade treatment is especially great for puffy eyes too.
Cosmetic solutions against dark under eye circles
The skin around the eyes is very delicate and sensitive and it has fewer sebaceous glands, so it is advisable not to use creams that will irritate it. Use specially designed eye creams for this area.
Types of eye creams:
It is best to use eye cream that is designed for exactly for your skin type and age, and also make sure that your skin is not allergic to specific ingredients in the eye cream. Here are some cosmetic solutions against dark under eye circles:
1. Use concealer with yellow undertone to hide the dark under eye circles. This is especially helpful if you are sleepy – it will instantly make your eyes look ‘awake’.
2. A soothing eye gel with cucumber or aloe vera it is suitable for every skin type, especially if you’re in your early twenties and you don’t want to use anti aging eye cream just yet. These eye gels are also great if you have tired and puffy eyes because it also reduces the puffiness especially if you cool them before use.
3. Anti aging eye cream (usually with Q10 coenzyme) is suitable for a little bit more mature skin.
Actually there are a variety of eye creams and serums that are tailored for all situations and weather conditions. Each brand develops its range, which uses a variety of ingredients and it is focusing on different effects. But generally they have one main goal – to leave the skin healthy and radiant.
Generally, it is better to use samples, especially if you want to buy a more expensive eye cream (they can be really expensive) so that you can find the right eye cream that works for you.
4. Applying the eye cream cream: Actually, it is really important how you apply your eye cream. Experts say that the eye cream should always be applied with the ring finger (because it is weakest) by gently patting it from the outer to the inner corner of the eyes.